Massaged Kale Salad
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Prep Notes: This recipe is filling, packed with nutrients and will keep you satisfied till dinner time.
The recipe requires you get your hands messy, so be prepared. Messaging kale helps it release
more moisture and make it more palatable. On the bright side you get to prepare and dress the
salad in one step! This recipe is loaded with healthy fats, protein and tastes delicious.
Quinoa will need to be cooked and chilled, directions are provided in the notes below.
Yields: 6 servings
1 large head kale, any type. I love baby kale
1 ripe avocado, diced
2 medium size heirloom tomatoes, diced
2 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
1 cup cooked quinoa, chilled
6 Tbsp hemp seed
3 Tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
Juice of one lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. If using regular kale remove center stalks and slice into ribbons.
2. Add olive oil, salt and lemon then massage with your hands to coat kale for about 5 minutes. Try it if it is still tough then massage a little longer. Kale will turn vibrant green and will become tender.
3. Add avocado then massage with your hands
4. Add tomatoes, chives, hemp seed, walnuts and quinoa then toss.
How to prepare Quinoa:
Before cooking quinoa be sure to wash it well as it has a natural coating that makes it taste bitter. It's easy to get rid of this coating by just rinsing in water before cooking.
You will need:
1 Cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp olive oil
1. Wash quinoa well and add to boiling waster with salt and oil.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until fluffy.
3. Fluff with fork, cover and let it sit for 10 minutes.