Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 3-4 servings
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic gloves, minced
1 1/4 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (about 5 medium size plum tomatoes)
1/2 cup of water
1 Jalapeno, whole (optional)
1/2 cup cheese (combination of feta and mozzarella)
1 1/2 tsp all spice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 Tbsp chives, chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Heat 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and cook onion and garlic 3-5 minutes on low to medium heat.
2. Cut tomatoes into quarters and place in food processor then blend until roughly chopped. Reserve 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes. Add water and blend with remaining tomato until smooth.
2. Add allspice, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper.
3. Add smooth and roughly chopped tomato and one whole jalapeno then allow to boil, once boiled reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 15 -20 minutes, until thickens. Note that the Jalapeno is added whole for flavor and in my experience does not make the dish spicy, once done simmering remove it.
4. Add eggs, salt and pepper. Cook thoroughly in low to medium heat with lid on, about 8 minutes.
5. Add cheese evenly. Once cheese melted turn burner off and add chopped chives.
Serve hot with warm pita bread or rice.