10 Foods That People Think Are Healthy But Are Actually Loaded with Sugar
You turn on the TV only to be bombarded with a barrage of advertisements for so called “healthy” choices. Below are 10 foods I used to think were the “healthy” choices, and many times they are even promoted as healthy foods, but in reality are loaded with sugar. It wasn’t until I started doing my own research and reading labels that I realized I needed to eliminate these foods from my life to truly have sustained energy and optimal health. If you’re ready to kick sugar to the curb, then start ditching these toxic “health” foods.
1. Fruit juice. Fruit juice is often associated with being healthy but the truth is it has a similar sugar content as other sugary drinks, for example one glass of orange juice has almost the same amount of sugar as a soda. The issue with fruit juice is that the fibers are removed leaving only sugar behind, it's also far less satiating then whole fruit; think of how many oranges it takes to make one glass of juice, definitely more than what we can eat at one time! Even homemade juice falls in this category.
2. Dried Fruit. Dried fruit with no sugar added is okay in moderation, or when eaten with some nuts and seeds for protein. Always read the ingredients, many dried fruit have added sugar; really crazy cause why would fruit need more sugar? If you find yourself snacking on dates every time you get a sugar craving and think it’s healthy, think again! Dried fruit is like nature’s candy.
3. Pasta Sauce. Store-bought pasta sauce has a ridiculous amount of added sugar. Prego traditional spaghetti sauce has 40g of added sugar! Always read your labels, or better yet, make your own tomato sauce so you know EXACTLY what’s in there. It’s so fast and easy!
4. Bread. Ah bread! People like to pretend that they’ve cut sugar yet they’re still eating bread. Bread turns into sugar in the body. Add to that the inflammatory effects of gluten, and bread becomes a ticking time bomb for illness to ensue. Look for bread made with whole grain flour and NO added sugar, that’s the one you want to use!
5. Noodles . Both pasta and rice noodles are pure refined carbohydrates made from white flour, which act just like bread and turn into sugar once they break down in your body. They may be fun to slurp, but you can make noodles from vegetables that are just as tasty and won’t spike your blood sugar. A great alternative is wholegrain pasta or veggie noodles!
6. Instant oatmeal. Instant oatmeal may seem like a quick and healthy breakfast, and it sure is convenient. But unfortunately just one serving of this stuff can pack as much as 15g of sugar! Opt for making your own oats, using steel cut oats or rolled oats.
7. Smoothies. Smoothies can be really healthy and delicious, but the ones you get from Orange Julius or those pre-made store-bought smoothies are a far cry from a health food. They want to make smoothies approachable for most people, which means making them super sweet and tasty. You can learn to make healthy balanced smoothies here.
8. Yogurt. Yogurt has got to be the worst on the list. This one fooled me for so many years, I had one as an afternoon snack for so many years!!! Especially because it’s promoted as this great healthy food, but most of the time flavored yogurt is FULL of junky additives including high-fructose corn syrup as a sweetener. If you want to eat yogurt, buy it full fat and plain, then you can sweeten it with some berries or mashed banana.
9. Granola. Like oatmeal, pre-made granola is riddled with added sugar and dried fruit, which only makes matters worse. Eating granola for breakfast is like having a big old cookie with your coffee. Unless you make your own exactly that goes into them! Try these, they are awesome!
10. Protein bars. Protein bars are either full of added sugar or contain toxic sugar substitutes like aspartame. Read protein bar labels very carefully, even the popular cliff bar contains a whopping 22g of sugar per bar, that's over 5 teaspoon of sugar!! Can you believe that?
To help you get started I put together a list of 10 foods that will help you quit sugar for good! Here's a Free guide to get you started right now, 10 Top Foods to Quit Sugar.