Ways To Eat Leafy Greens ...That Aren't Salad
There are days, I get all "saladed - out." But green leafy vegetables are one of the healthiest and most nutrient-dense foods out there (read more about that here) so here are some creative ways to eat more leafy greens without resorting to salads:
1. Soup is a great way to consume leafy greens. Stir a big handful of spinach, chopped chard or chopped kale into a soup during the last few minutes of cooking.
2. Smoothie This one is super easy, every time you make a smoothie, be sure to throw in a handful of spinach. To mask the flavor and reduce color add in berries! I also like adding cauliflower to my smoothies too, while they are not leafy greens are highly nutritious and work really well in smoothies!
3. Sauce A perfect way to sneak in extra greens, either chopped or pureed in a sauce. Here is my favorite sauces that goes so well with any protein.
4. Kimchi Yes! Cabbage counts as a leafy green! Kimchi is a spicy fermented Korean condiment; Get a daily dose in the form with your meals.
5. Garnish An easy way to add leafy greens is to sprinkle it as garnish! A sprinkle of microgreens, parsley, coriander or any herb you like adds a huge nutritional punch!
6. Pesto One of my favorite ways to effortlessly add in leafy greens! Here is the recipe I use and love, I add this to pasta, salads, sandwiches, as a dip... truly endless uses!
7. Wraps Using leafy greens as a wrap in place of tortilla is a wonderful way to add in leafy greens; great options include iceberg lettuce for burgers, romaine lettuce for tacos and collard greens as sandwich wraps.
8. Chips Who doesn't like a crunchy snack? Kale chips make the perfect veggies loaded snack!
9. Sandwiches Every time I make a sandwich I add a handful of leafy greens to it; best options are arugula, lettuce or spinach. Add in your favorite toppings and enjoy!
10. Stews Such an easy way to add in veggies with no impact on taste. Stir a handful of leafy greens like spinach at the end of the cooking to add nutrients and fiber to any stew, chili or dish.